WND EXCLUSIVE by BOB UNRUH
The Obama administration is battling to restore a controversial provision of a new federal law that it admits could have been used to arrest and detain citizens indefinitely – even if their actions were protected by the First Amendment.
A federal judge this week made permanent an injunction against enforcement of Section 1021 of the most recent National Defense Authorization Act, which was declared unconstitutional.
The Obama administration then took only hours to file an appeal of the order from U.S. District Judge Katherine Forrest, and attorneys also asked her to halt enforcement of her order.
In her order, Forrest wrote, “The government put forth the qualified position that plaintiffs’ particular activities, as described at the hearing, if described accurately, if they were independent, and without more, would not subject plaintiffs to military detention under Section 1021.”
But she continued, “The government did not – and does not – generally agree or anywhere argue that activities protected by the First Amendment could not subject an individual to indefinite military detention under Section 1021.”
The case was brought last January by a number of writers and reporters, led by New York Times reporter Christopher Hedges. The journalists contend the controversial section allows for detention of citizens and residents taken into custody in the U.S. on “suspicion of providing substantial support” to anyone engaged in hostilities against the U.S.
The lawsuit alleges the law is vague and could be read to authorize the arrest and detention of people whose speech or associations are protected by the First Amendment. They wonder whether interviewing a member of al-Qaida would be considered “substantial support.”
“Here, the stakes get no higher: indefinite military detention – potential detention during a war on terrorism that is not expected to end in the foreseeable future, if ever. The Constitution requires specificity – and that specificity is absent from Section 1021,” the judge wrote.
Dan Johnson, a spokesman with People Against the NDAA, told WND it took only hours for the government to file an appeal to the 2nd Circuit Court of Appeals.
“It most definitely tells us something about their intent,” he told WND.
He cited Obama’s signing statement, when the bill was made law, that he would not use the provision allowing detention of American citizens without probable cause in military facilities.
“Just because someone says something doesn’t mean they’re not lying,” he said.
Bloomberg reports the Obama administration also is asking Forrest for a stay of the ruling that found the law violates the First, Fifth and 14th Amendments.
The judge expressed dissatisfaction with what one observer described as the arrogance of the Department of Justice in the case.
Forrest asked the government to define the legal term, noting the importance of how they apply to reporting and other duties.
“The court repeatedly asked the government whether those particular past activities could subject plaintiffs to indefinite military detention; the government refused to answer,” she wrote.
“The Constitution places affirmative limits on the power of the executive to act, and these limits apply in times of peace as well as times of war,” she wrote.
She said the law “impermissibly impinges on guaranteed First Amendment rights and lacks sufficient definitional structure and protection to meet the requirements of due process.”
“This court rejects the government’s suggestion that American citizens can be placed in military detention indefinitely, for acts they could not predict might subject them to detention, and have as their sole remedy a habeas petition adjudicated by a single decision-maker (a judge versus a jury), by a ‘preponderance of the evidence’ standard,” she wrote.
“That scenario dispenses with a number of guaranteed rights,” she said.
The Obama administration already has described those who hold a pro-life position or support third-party presidential candidates or the Second Amendment fit the profile of a domestic terrorist.
Obama stated when he put his signature to the legislative plan that his administration “will not authorize the indefinite military detention without trial of American citizens.”
Virginia already has passed a law that states it would not cooperate with such detentions, and several local jurisdictions have done the same. Arizona, Rhode Island, Maryland, Oklahoma, Tennessee and Washington also have considered similar legislation.
The case was brought on behalf of Christopher Hedges, Daniel Ellsberg, Jennifer Bolen, Noam Chomsky, Alex O’Brien, Kai Warg All, Brigitta Jonsottir and the group U.S. Day of Rage. Many of the plaintiffs are authors or reporters who stated that the threat of indefinite detention by the U.S. military already had altered their activities.
Constitutional expert Herb Titus filed a friend-of-the-court brief on behalf of the sponsor of the Virginia law, Delegate Bob Marshall and others.
Titus, an attorney with William J. Olson, P.C., told WND the judge’s first decision to grant a preliminary injunction halting enforcement of paragraph 1021 “affirms the constitutional position taken by Delegate Marshall is correct.”
The impact is that “the statute does not have sufficient constitutional guidelines to govern the discretion of the president in making a decision whether to hold someone in indefinite military detention,” Titus said.
The judge had noted that the law doesn’t have a requirement that there be any knowledge that an act is prohibited before a detention. The judge also said the law is vague, and she appeared to be disturbed that the administration lawyers refused to answer her questions.
Titus said the judge’s conclusions underscore “the arrogance of the current regime, in that they will not answer questions that they ought to answer to a judge because they don’t think they have to.”
The brief was filed on behalf of Marshall and other individuals and organizations, including the United States Justice Foundation, Downsize DC Foundation, Institute on the Constitution, Gun Owners of America, Western Center for Journalism, the Tenth Amendment Center and Pastor Chuck Baldwin.
Marshall’s HB1160 passed the Virginia House of Delegates by a vote of 87-7 and the Virginia Senate 36-1. Since the vote was on changes recommended by Gov. Bob McDonnell, it was scheduled to take effect without further vote.
Marshall then wrote leaders in state legislatures around the country suggesting similar votes in their states.
Marshall’s letter noted Virginia was the first state in the nation to refuse cooperation “with federal authorities who, acting under the authority of section 1021 of the National Defense Authorization Act of 2012 (NDAA), could arrest and detain American citizens suspected of aiding terrorists without probable cause, without the right to know the charges against them, and without the procedural rights guaranteed by the Bill of Rights.”
He told lawmakers, “While we would hope that the U.S. Senate and U.S. House of Representatives would be vigilant to protect the constitutional rights of American citizens, even when addressing the problem of international terrorism, those efforts in Congress failed at the end of last year, and President Obama signed NDAA into law on December 31, 2011.”
Endorsing Marshall’s plan was the Japanese American Citizens League, which cited the detention of tens of thousands of Japanese Americans during World War II on no authorization other than the president’s signature.
The Obama administration continues to argue the law allows for detention without legal due process only those who “substantially supported” terror groups such as al-Qaida or “associated forces.” But the plaintiffs note that the law does not define those terms.
Instead, they point to the law’s provision that such individuals may be detained “without trial until the end of the hostilities.”
Obama attorneys said the new law simply affirms what already was precedent under the Authorization for Use of Military Force, which was adopted in the dust of the 9/11 terror attacks.
But plaintiffs wrote, “Nowhere does the AUMF convey to the executive the power to detain any person – citizen or otherwise – who ‘substantially supported’ al-Qaida or the Taliban or their associate forces, as section 1021 of the NDAA now provides.”
“No case has ever recognized the government’s contention that the AUMF authorized the detention of noncombatants. … Neither case law nor the actual text of the AUMF supports the government’s contention that such detention power already existed.”
- NDAA Case: Indefinite Detention Injunction Does Irreparable Harm, Obama Admin. Lawyers Argue (huffingtonpost.com)
- Federal Judge Permanently Blocks the Indefinite Detainment Provision of the NDAA, Because It’s Unconstitutional, Obama Administration Appeals [Updated] (reason.com)
- US Totalitarianism Loses Major Battle As Judge Permanently Blocks NDAA Military Detention Provision (alexanderhiggins.com)
- Obama gets detention authority back – for now (wnd.com)
- Judge reinstates federal kidnapping powers (tenthamendmentcenter.com)
- WND EXCLUSIVE by BOB UNRUH (sohereandnow.wordpress.com)
- Obama Wins Right To Indefinitely Detain Americans Under NDAA (alexanderhiggins.com)
- Indefinite Detention Ban Stayed By Appeals Judge In NDAA Case (weeklyintercept.blogspot.com)
- Indefinite Detainment is Back On: Second Circuit Judge Stays Anti-NDAA Ruling Until Decision (reason.com)
September 15, 2012 - Posted by duckyack | Here And Now | Associated Press, Constitution, First Amendment to the United States Constitution, Herb Titus, National Defense Authorization Act, Obama, Obama administration, United State
No comments yet.
Website under construction
Just Me, Administrator
Where We Stand
This is a Conservative political blog. The Administrator writes under MY TWO SENSE, and all other posts are either re-postings from online news articles and/or commentaries. Readers may comment on any subject as long as the comment is without hate and unacceptable language. Any post, in part or in full, as long as permission is obtained from the original author, may be copied and pasted, and sourced with website link and author. Nothing from this website may be used for commercial or personal gain. Any post under MY TWO SENSE can be reposted as long as it is not for commercial gain, clearly dispays the source link, and sites the author. We believe the above rules fall under the Fair Use Act rules and regulations.
Administrator is retired, cherishes privacy, is a Constitutional Conservative, anti-Obama, DC corruption, and people without the courage to stand up and speak out against the myriad injustices perpetrated by the Obama administration. Administrator's montra; Stand Up and Speak Out about injustices, child abuse, and Constitutional high crimes and treason.
Administrator has very little tolerance for those who will not defend their country against unConstitutional actions taken by the government. And the Administrator has no tolerence for those who are "too busy" with family and job to get involved. We are at war with government corruption at the highest degree in our history, and we are at war with Islam. Both are out to destroy America, and this Administration has done most of the dismantling of our infrastructure, and now, it is helping Muslim extremists murder American citizens without due process, probable cause, and without representation from an attorney. Pick your side, and jump into the fray.
Blogs I Follow
- August 2014 (18)
- April 2014 (1)
- March 2014 (7)
- December 2013 (6)
- November 2013 (22)
- October 2013 (8)
- September 2013 (12)
- August 2013 (27)
- July 2013 (33)
- June 2013 (24)
- May 2013 (78)
- April 2013 (64)
- March 2013 (20)
- February 2013 (9)
- January 2013 (30)
- December 2012 (51)
- November 2012 (53)
- October 2012 (115)
- September 2012 (62)
- August 2012 (47)
- July 2012 (24)
- June 2012 (30)
W 4 FORM VIRGINIA 20… on US FREEDOM ARMY by Lewis Shupe… W 4 FORM GEORGIA 201… on US FREEDOM ARMY by Lewis Shupe… duckyack on WHAT’S THE DIFFERENCE IN… International Banker… on POLITICAL VEL CRAFT, VEIL OF P… duckyack on FELLOSHIP OF THE MINDS by DR.…
- MEDIA RESEARCH CENTER by L. BRENT BOZELL, III (Email sent to me) August 23, 2014Please take a moment to read this important op-ed by Media Research Center Founder and President L. Brent Bozell, III. MEDIA CENSOR SOROS CONNECTION TO PERRY INDICTMENT By L. Brent Bozell, III On January 27, 1998, then First Lady Hillary Clinton – without a shred of credible evidence – infamously claimed during an NBC Today […]duckyack
- HOT AIR posted by MICHELE KIRK August 22, 2014Forget Obama’s dribble; you’ll want to read this US Marine veteran’s powerful response to beheading! August 22, 2014 by Michele Kirk Photo credit: AmericanLivewire.com As Obama continues to bounce the ball meaninglessly all over the court, leave it to a US soldier to get a slam dunk! A Marine Corps veteran sent an unmistakable message […]duckyack
- NEW YORK TIMES by PETER BAKER and JULIE HIRSCHFELD DAVIS August 22, 2014MY TWO SENSE Immediately after being “‘heartbroken’ by the brutal murder of an American journalist, James Foley,” and after he “just hung up the telephone with the devastated parents,” Obamahammamomma runs to golf course because, of course, he’s still on vacation. He had to go, after all, because apparently it’s not good for the president […] […]duckyack
- TOWNHALL.COM by LARRY ELDER August 22, 2014MY TWO SENSE AREN’T YOU ASHAMED OF YOURSELVES, HYPOCRITES OF THE NATION? I’m saying that I’m ashamed to be associated with everyone I know who jumped on this band wagon of the “Poor, poor black teen, murdered by a Ferguson cop!” Officer Wilson, I believed none of it, because no evidence was in-no witness statements […]duckyack
- NEWS.COM.AU by NETWORK WRITERS August 19, 2014MY TWO SENSE We no longer need worry about which photo of Michael Brown is being used to spin this case. Agree, or not, this woman is to be respected for her courage to stand up for her beliefs, for the fact that she has moral-issues beliefs, and for her tenacity of meeting violence with […]duckyack
- COUNCIL OF CONSERVATIVES CITIZENS by Channel 4 News St. Louis, MO August 18, 2014Four black males murder random white man for the fun of it Imo, MO If the races had been reversed, this would be a national news story. Instead it is a hush crime and the media calls it “a robbery.” A white pizza delivery driver was shot and killed while sitting in his car in […]duckyack
- FOX NATION–MARK LEVIN August 18, 2014Listen: Mark Levin Goes Nuclear Over Rick Perry Being Indicted https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=l0eAsbGuWks Mark Levin sounds off after a grand jury has indicted Republican Texas Gov. Rick Perry for abuse of power after the governor allegedly carried out a threat to veto funding for public corruption prosecutors in the state. Perr […]duckyack
- THE SACRAMENTO BEE by MARK GLOVER August 17, 2014VSP launches campaign to donate a trained guide dog to U.S. military veteran By Mark Glover firstname.lastname@example.org Published: Thursday, Aug. 14, 2014 – 11:43 am VSP Vision Care, an arm of Rancho Cordova-based VSP Global, on Thursday announced a campaign to help raise, train and place a guide dog with a U.S. military veteran who […]duckyack
- BRIETBART BIG GOVERNMENT by CHARLIE SPIERING (http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2014/08/09/Ted-Cruz-ISIS-is-the-Face-Of-Evil) August 16, 2014MY TWO SENSE Senator Cruz cannot possibly think Obama is naive or inexperienced, causing him to view ISIS as “varsity.” Obama downplays the threat of his pawns in order to perpetuate a belief that he is simply inexperienced or cowardly. Obama pawns, such as the Muslim Brotherhood, ISAS, Hamas, et al, are being used to […]duckyack
- CBS NEWS KMOX RADIO (Michael Brown Assualted Police Officer in Attempt to Take Officer’s Weapon) August 15, 2014MY TWO SENSE Let’s all pray that the named police officer remains safe from harm and as well protected as police would protect Michael Brown had he succeeded in his efforts to kill that officer. Brown was shot and killed after stealing from Quick Trip and assaulting police officer as he tried to take the […]duckyack
- TOWNHALL.COM: ROBIN WILLIAMS-COMEDY AND TRAGEDY by CAL THOMAS August 15, 2014Robin Williams: Comedy and Tragedy Cal Thomas | Aug 14, 2014 Robin Williams made me cry. Like his mentor, the late Jonathan Winters, Williams, who committed suicide Monday, made me laugh so intensely tears would come to my eyes. Williams’ death made headlines and led TV newscasts. His comedic genius diverted us from stories about […]duckyack
- TOWNHALL.COM by LEAH BARKOUKIS: Fired Texas Principal Speaks Out: ‘It Would Be Best to Speak English in Classrooms’ | Aug 10, 2014 August 11, 2014Fired Texas Principal Speaks Out: ‘It Would Be Best to Speak English in Classrooms’ Leah Barkoukis | Aug 10, 2014 On November 12, 2013, Amy Lacey, the principal of Texas’ Hempstead Middle School, was placed on administrative leave and subsequently fired when she made a simple request to students: speak English. Now that the gag […]duckyack
- TWITCHY TWEETS REGARDING NORTH ST. LOUIS, MO RIOTING by TWITCHY STAFF August 11, 2014MY TWO SENSE: IS ANYONE SURPRISED BY THIS ATTITUDE?? I’m not, and shame on you if you are! Petty thugs never change. They always have a self-image which whines, “I ain’t got no nothin’! And now dat’s gone!” What can be expected from a group of spoiled, cry babies who’ve been, for generations, given what […]duckyack
- “We Don’t Understand Real Evil, Organized Evil, Very Well. This is Evil Incarnate.” TOWNHALL.COM by HUGH HEWITT, 8-9-14 August 10, 2014“We Don’t Understand Real Evil, Organized Evil, Very Well. This is Evil Incarnate.” That title is a quote from former Ambassador Ryan Crocker, quoted in Peter Baker’s fine piece in Friday’s New York Times’ on the president’s decision to sort-of, kind-of, maybe strike against ISIS. Baker’s quote of Crocker, who served as President George W. […] […]duckyack
- EMAIL FROM USFREEDOMARMY.COM 8-10-14 August 10, 2014MISCELLANEOUS: Twitter users read the Twitter instructions below. We have made a few changes. We have about 20 email addresses that we are having problems with. If you received this email yours is not one of them. Remember – if you change email addresses you must reenlist under the new email address and inform us […]duckyack
- MEDIA RESEARCH CENTER by L. BRENT BOZELL, III (Email sent to me) August 23, 2014