TODD STARNES FOX NEWS COMMENTATOR (BOYCOTT AUTO ZONE–JM)
AutoZone Fires Worker Who Stopped Robbery
Posted in Top Stories
Dec 4, 2012
An AutoZone worker who stopped an armed robbery by retrieving a weapon from his truck said he was fired by the company for violating their gun policy.
Devin McLean and his store manager were about to close the AutoZone in York County, Va. when a gunman barged into the store.
“He pulled a gun from his waist band and demanded me and my manager go back into the office,” McLean told Fox News.
At some point, McLean was left in a restroom while the gunman made the manager open the store safe. That’s when McLean, a 23-year-old Air Force veteran, bolted through a side door and ran to his truck.
He returned through the front door holding a Glock 40 – pointed directly at the masked robber.
“I told him to freeze and to drop his weapon,” McLean told Fox News.
Instead, the robber took off – last seen running down the street from the store.
“I watched him run down the street,” he said. “I came back inside and made sure my manager was okay and he called the police.”
The York County Sheriff’s Dept. believes the bandit is responsible for as many as 30 robberies across the region.
“One of the officers asked why I didn’t shoot the robber,” McLean said.
Sheriff J.D. Diggs told Fox News he considers McLean to be a hero.
“He did a very brave thing,” the sheriff said. “He put himself in jeopardy in an attempt to make sure his friend was safe. He did a very brave thing.”
The part-time worker’s manager was especially thankful and credited McLean with saving his life.
But two days after the robbery – and just a week before Thanksgiving – McLean was fired.
Television station WTKR reported that McLean violated corporate policy by leaving the store and returning with a weapon.
The station spoke to a representative from the company’s corporate office who said they had a “zero tolerance policy for employees having weapons inside the store.”
An AutoZone spokesman told Fox News they will not discuss the matter.
“It was a surprise to me,” McLean said. “I did the right thing. I saved the company $2,000. I saved one of their manager’s lives – and you’re letting me go? It was a slap in the face.”
McLean said the firing came at a difficult time. He’s about to be a first-time father.
“We’re having a little boy,” he said. “I remember when the guy came in with that gun. My initial thought was I want to make it home to my family. I want to have the opportunity to meet my son and for my son to meet his dad. And for someone to come in and shove a gun in your face?”
So why not just keep running? Why go back inside the store – and risk your own life?
“I regard them as my family,” McLean said of his co-workers. “You’re not going to leave your brother or sister behind.”
It’s a lesson he learned in the Air Force.
“Never leave a man behind,” he said. “I’m not going to leave my brother in a room with a guy with a gun – that’s threatening his life.”
In spite of losing his job, McLean said his actions would be the same if it happened again.
“I wouldn’t change anything,” he said.
The sheriff said he was disappointed to hear that McLean lost his job on account of stopping the robbery.
“That’s certainly unfortunate,” he said. “They should be doing something to reward that young man instead of firing him.”
Sheriff Diggs said AutoZone has also sent an unintended message to the community.
“The company has now sent a message to every would-be robber out there – ‘Hey we’re open for business and unarmed. Come on in and take our money,’” he said.
Meanwhile, the backlash against AutoZone is spreading. Cam Edwards, of NRA News, called AutoZone’s decision an “injustice.”
“It may have been corporate policy to fire Devin McLean, but it’s also an injustice. He came to the aid of a fellow employee threatened by an armed robber and was canned. They should have named him employee of the year.”
He said the nation needs more people like McLean.
“He had the chance to run away but instead he chose to arm himself with his legally owned gun and save the life of his supervisor,” Edwards told Fox News. “Wouldn’t we all like to work with someone like Devin?”
Customers have launched a boycott against the company on Facebook and a petition has been started urging them to rehire McLean.
“There’s a Pep Boys right around the corner,” one irate customer wrote on Facebook.
- AutoZone fires worker who stopped armed robbery (radio.foxnews.com)
- AutoZone Employee Fights Off Robber, Gets Fired (fox2now.com)
- AutoZone worker fends off robber, gets fired (wmur.com)
- AutoZone employee fired after taking action against “Fake Beard Bandit” (wtkr.com)
- Autozone fires worker who stopped armed robbery (schnittshow.com)
- Autozone fires worker who stopped armed robbery (640whlo.com)
- Autozone fires worker who stopped armed robbery (mega949.com)
No comments yet.
Website under construction
Just Me, Administrator
Blogs I Follow
- November 2014 (1)
- October 2014 (4)
- September 2014 (4)
- August 2014 (18)
- April 2014 (1)
- March 2014 (7)
- December 2013 (6)
- November 2013 (22)
- October 2013 (8)
- September 2013 (12)
- August 2013 (27)
- July 2013 (33)
- June 2013 (24)
- May 2013 (78)
- April 2013 (64)
- March 2013 (20)
- February 2013 (9)
- January 2013 (30)
- December 2012 (51)
- November 2012 (53)
- October 2012 (115)
- September 2012 (62)
- August 2012 (47)
- July 2012 (24)
- June 2012 (30)
- THE RUSH LIMBAUGH SHOW & “OBAMACARE WRITTEN TO FOOL STUPID AMERICANS” November 12, 2014Obamacare Architect Jonathan Gruber: We Lied and Counted on the Stupidity of the American VoterNovember 10, 2014 BEGIN TRANSCRIPT RUSH: Have you seen or heard the audio snippet of the actual author of Obamacare? His name is Jonathan Gruber. He is a professor at MIT, a professor of economics. He wrote both Romneycare and he […]duckyack
- BREITBART BIG GOVERNMENT by AWR HAWKINS October 30, 2014Students Suspended For Holding Airsoft Guns In Photo Taken In Living Room http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2014/10/29/Students-Get-Suspended-For-Holding-Airsoft-Guns-In-Photo-Taken-In-Living-Room by AWR Hawkins 29 Oct 2014 Two Massachusetts high school sweethearts—Tito Velez and Jamie Pereira—are suspended from school after posing with Airsoft toy […]duckyack
- BREITBART BIG GOVERNMENT “VIDEO: MACHINE SWITCHES VOTES from REPUBLICAN to DEMOCRAT IN IL” by JOEL B. POLLAK October 30, 2014Video: Machine Switches Votes from Republican to Democrat in IL by Joel B. Pollak 29 Oct 2014 Video has emerged from Illinois of a “calibration error” that causes voting machines to switch votes from Republican to Democrat. The video, posted on YouTube, purportedly shows voting machines in the public library in Moline, IL registering votes […]duckyack
- EMAIL FROM SEN. TED CRUZ October 29, 2014http://www.jobsgrowth.org/makedclisten/?mkt_tok=3RkMMJWWfF9wsRonuq3IZKXonjHpfsX87ektW6ag38431UFwdcjKPmjr1YIAScd0aPyQAgobGp5I5FEKS7HYXa1mt6EOUgemXSjrtqDIZoxAZZ13gZcy Dear Xxxxxx, We’re engaged in an urgent fight to change the course of our nation. But there’s something you can do — right now — to help us win. I believe we’re going to retake the United States […]duckyack
- BLACKS ARE “LESS SOPHISTICATED VOTERS” by J. CHRISTIAN ADAMS, BREITBART BIG GOVERNMENT October 21, 2014MY TWO SENSE BLACKS TOO STUPID TO PROCURE VOTER ID-BLACKS LESS EVOLVED THAN OTHER RACES: It’s the same old argument from closeted racists (I’m weary of the term)! Can you imagine what explosions would occur if a Conservative had said such a thing? Of course, you can. The fact is; now listen up black folk […]duckyack
- EMAIL LETTER FROM TED CRUZ September 25, 2014A LETTER FROM TED CRUZ Dear Xxxxxxxxx, A year ago today, we began an effort to #MakeDCListen. I went to the Senate floor to warn of the tremendous harms Obamacare would cause and urge Congress to do something about it. You went to Facebook, to Twitter, or even to your neighbors to speak the truth. […]duckyack
- TOWNHALL.COM by KATIE PAVLICH (http://townhall.com/tipsheet/katiepavlich/2014/09/10/doj-works-with-democrats-on-capitol-hill-to-attack-issa-over-irs-scandal-n1889482) September 10, 2014http://townhall.com/tipsheet/katiepavlich/2014/09/10/doj-works-with-democrats-on-capitol-hill-to-attack-issa-over-irs-scandal-n1889482 Liberal Incest: DOJ Works With Democrats on Capitol Hill to Attack Issa, Manipulate IRS Scandal Info Katie Pavlich | Sep 10, 2014 A letter sent to Attorney General Eric Holder from Chairman of the House Oversight Committee […]duckyack
- SENATOR TED CRUZ’S COMPILATION OF: THE OBAMA ADMINISTRATION’S ATTEMPTS TO EXPAND FEDERAL POWER September 5, 2014OFFICE OF SENATOR TED CRUZ 185 Dirksen Senate Office Building Washington, D.C. 20510 (202) 224-5922 http://www.cruz.senate.gov THE LEGAL LIMIT: THE OBAMA ADMINISTRATION’S ATTEMPTS TO EXPAND FEDERAL POWER Report No. 4: The Obama Administration’s Abuse of Power By U.S. Senator Ted Cruz (R-TX) Ranking Member Senate Judiciary Subcommittee on The Constitution, C […]duckyack
- UNITED STATES FREEDOM ARMY EMAIL: WEBSITE(http://www.usfreedomarmy.com/constitutional-freedom-march/) September 4, 2014UNITED STATES FREEDOM ARMY END OF MONTH REPORT AS OF 08/31/2014 CONSTITUTIONAL FREEDOM MARCH “A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.” “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” “When your children and grandchildren ask you what happened to America make sure […]duckyack
- MEDIA RESEARCH CENTER by L. BRENT BOZELL, III (Email sent to me) August 23, 2014Please take a moment to read this important op-ed by Media Research Center Founder and President L. Brent Bozell, III. MEDIA CENSOR SOROS CONNECTION TO PERRY INDICTMENT By L. Brent Bozell, III On January 27, 1998, then First Lady Hillary Clinton – without a shred of credible evidence – infamously claimed during an NBC Today […]duckyack
- HOT AIR posted by MICHELE KIRK August 22, 2014Forget Obama’s dribble; you’ll want to read this US Marine veteran’s powerful response to beheading! August 22, 2014 by Michele Kirk Photo credit: AmericanLivewire.com As Obama continues to bounce the ball meaninglessly all over the court, leave it to a US soldier to get a slam dunk! A Marine Corps veteran sent an unmistakable message […]duckyack
- NEW YORK TIMES by PETER BAKER and JULIE HIRSCHFELD DAVIS August 22, 2014MY TWO SENSE Immediately after being “‘heartbroken’ by the brutal murder of an American journalist, James Foley,” and after he “just hung up the telephone with the devastated parents,” Obamahammamomma runs to golf course because, of course, he’s still on vacation. He had to go, after all, because apparently it’s not good for the president […] […]duckyack
- TOWNHALL.COM by LARRY ELDER August 22, 2014MY TWO SENSE AREN’T YOU ASHAMED OF YOURSELVES, HYPOCRITES OF THE NATION? I’m saying that I’m ashamed to be associated with everyone I know who jumped on this band wagon of the “Poor, poor black teen, murdered by a Ferguson cop!” Officer Wilson, I believed none of it, because no evidence was in-no witness statements […]duckyack
- NEWS.COM.AU by NETWORK WRITERS August 19, 2014MY TWO SENSE We no longer need worry about which photo of Michael Brown is being used to spin this case. Agree, or not, this woman is to be respected for her courage to stand up for her beliefs, for the fact that she has moral-issues beliefs, and for her tenacity of meeting violence with […]duckyack
- COUNCIL OF CONSERVATIVES CITIZENS by Channel 4 News St. Louis, MO August 18, 2014Four black males murder random white man for the fun of it Imo, MO If the races had been reversed, this would be a national news story. Instead it is a hush crime and the media calls it “a robbery.” A white pizza delivery driver was shot and killed while sitting in his car in […]duckyack
- THE RUSH LIMBAUGH SHOW & “OBAMACARE WRITTEN TO FOOL STUPID AMERICANS” November 12, 2014
Site infoSO HERE AND NOW
Blog at WordPress.com.