MY TWO SENSE by JUST ME
The Devil Is In The Details
This is for everyone who believes mental illness leads to killing, with or without a gun, and Glenn Beck needs to hear this, as well as everyone else. Thinking one knows what the parameters ought to be to keep guns out of the hands of the mentally ill, is not only misunderstanding mental illness, but it does a grave injustice for the vast majority of individuals with a mental health issue. This is extremely dangerous territory, and lay people should not be making decisions about gun control. That, in itself, is heavily infringing upon the Second Amendment of all Americans.
There are myriad issues that can, and are labeled, “mental illness,” by a professional. Depression, anxiety, PTSD, as well as every other non-violence, oriented disorder is rampant in this world. Only one general rule should be applied when denying ownership of a gun in connection with mental illness. That is ACTIVE PARANOIA and/or PSYCHOSIS! That means those who cannot tell the difference between reality and fiction should not have weapons OF ANY KIND! Guns are not the only murder weapons available to one bent on killing.
We must not allow fear and ignorance to lead us down the wrong and dangerous path relative to gun control. A precursor to violence is NOT a mental health diagnosis, nor is taking a medication related to mental illnesses. In fact, most clinically diagnosed individuals would no more consider hurting another than they would consider the sky to be falling. Let’s not forget that evil stems from three personality characteristics; amorality, a lack of empathy, and extreme narcissism can, and does, set the stage for violent behaviors. In-the-moment, extreme rage, along with a break from reality, can be another possible predictor. There are many, many grey here. Stop, take a breath, and educate yourselves about mental illness and keep the ignorance and fear out of this debate!
- We need to talk about Mental Illness (jansandsblog.wordpress.com)
- LETTER: Gun debate must not scapegoat mental illness (tauntongazette.com)
- Attitudes Towards Mental Illness Suffer Following Media Coverage Of Mass Shootings (medicalnewstoday.com)
- Mental Illness and Guns (conservativeread.com)
- Virginia Slayer Statute Includes Persons With Mental Illness (lawprofessors.typepad.com)
- Mental Illness Stigma or Should We Say Ignorance? (bipolar2happiness.com)
- State lawmakers debates relaxing gun laws for mentally ill (onlineathens.com)
- Prison Or Treatment For the Mentally ill (psychologytoday.com)
No comments yet.